Nina Chakrabarti

 
Whilst researching tribal face tattoos I came across Nina Chakrabarti. Nina was born in Calcutta, India and moved to England in her teens where she studied illustration at Central St. Martins and then later in life at The Royal college of Art. What interested me about Nina's work is the intricate tribalistic designs she applies to images of the face and to her illustrations of shoes, clothing and jewellery.
 
Here are some of my favourites of her pieces-
 
All taken from http://noneofthemknew.blogspot.com/
 
soo....whilst looking at more illustrations by Nina Chakrabarti, I recognised some of the designs and realised that I actually have a book by her, namely "My EVEN MORE wonderful world of fashion". Here are some illustrations I found in the book in relation to the tribal theme-
 
 
 
 
These illustrations are amazing, Nina depicts every little detail in these sketches of tribal clothing and accessories. I particularly like the dress above which was hand crafted by the Lakota Tribe, it looks as if there are lots of different embelishments on the dress.
 
Here are some designs that I have done in the same style as Nina Chakrabarti -
 
 
 
 
 
 
I tried out aspects of one of my designs on one of my friends. Take a look -
 
 
 
I did the design free-hand however I wish I had a smaller brush to create thinner lines....I really must buy one!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment