The Brief

Welcome to my Wild Kingdom blog! I will be using this blog to document my journey through my project - Wild Kingdom! The theme is tribal and physical transformation, I will be researching, testing and developing my ideas to eventually produce 2 make-up and hair looks; one for an editorial and one for a catwalk. I am so excited by this brief, on hearing it so many ideas popped into my head! The main reason why I love this brief more than any other that we've had is because it is so open, there are so many different directions you can go in! There are so many colours you can use, so many textures...to make your work really stand apart from the rest!
 
Here are just a few images that interest and inspire me at this point -

Erbore Tribal Makeup, Ethiopia.
Taken from http://www.flickr.com/photos/mytripsmypics/3219160471/in/faves-waltercallens/
I really like the contrast of the white against the dark chocolate skin, I find it really striking. Erbore men would wear this make-up to attract female attention.
 
 
Chimbu Tribe, Papua New Guinea.
Taken from http://www.flickr.com/photos/mytripsmypics/364366495/in/faves-waltercallens/ 
Apart from the fact that this guy looks adorable, the flaming auburn feathers on his head-dress look gorgeous, as if his hair is on fire! I love the texture in his beard too, it's almost like little snowdrops are nestled in his hairs.
 

 
Chimbu Tribe, Papua New guinea.
Taken from http://www.greenimagebank.com/id/4184437297
Wow! This headdress is incredible, it looks as though a bird has landed there. I love everything from the bright array of feathers to the intricate band of beads across his forehead.
 
 
African tribesman. Taken from http://ethnoworld.tumblr.com/
This is a stunning image, the clouds in the background are beautiful, they really make this picture. The extensive collar of feathers in real earthy tones is what I like most about this image, it feels like a statement of power. The fact that the image is taken shoulders up, with only the clouds, really dis-associates this tribesman from the land he is surely stood on. I see him here as other-worldly, almost god-like. 

3 comments:

  1. Great start Roxanne. The mix of images and observations make for an interesting read. Please continue like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The African Tribesman is shot in Liberia and was taken for a charity. I am the photographer - Jonathan Banks - www.photo-banks.com and this image is not licensed for this site. Please remove immediately. I will allow 20 days for this to be removed after which will have to instruct my agency to take the legal route. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. The African Tribesman is shot in Liberia and was taken for a charity. I am the photographer - Jonathan Banks - www.photo-banks.com and this image is not licensed for this site. Please remove immediately. I will allow 20 days for this to be removed after which will have to instruct my agency to take the legal route. Thanks

    ReplyDelete